Thursday, August 13, 2009

What Retail Has Taught Me

The one thing that working in retail these past 3 months is patience.

I have learned patience in many different facets. Starting with customers. I know this is the obvious answer. Any job working with the public will lead you to the "customer" who is always right. I have asked a customer if they need help finding a size, they answer no, then proceed to tear apart the stack of shirts I just folded. That part irks me the most. I literally just offered to help but American consumers need help but won't ask for it. So I find myself offering help and rarely getting a response. It honestly makes my day when a customer actually asks for help. My job is much more joyous when I don't have to size pencil skirts every minute of my shift.

The next aspect of patience is learned by my co-workers. I never thought I would find myself in clothing retail. Most of the girls I work with are the stereotype of what I always suspected in woman's retail. Many women who love to talk about the other co-workers and spend a good chunk of their paycheck every week. On the other hand, I have to look at the tempting clothes on sale without purchasing a single item. I am saving every penny just for food and bills. I get frustrated hearing my lovely co-workers whine about how they are so broke but leave their shift with a bulging bag of new merchandise.

And finally, I learn patience because it is just a job I do not truly enjoy. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. I like being on my feet and interacting with customers (minus the aforementioned issue). But I want to be doing something interesting. I want to feel like I'm contributing to my future. Working in retail pales in comparison to how I would like to feel in my job.

On a separate exciting note, I'm moving to Los Angeles in a week and a half to start a film program. I can't wait to start my internship. Maybe then, even while I'm making copies and answering the phone, I'll feel like I'm contributing to something bigger. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment