Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lunch Time

Twixter Two and I have a clever little work time ritual that involves treating our business emails like instant messenger - desperate to talk to someone from outside our tiny cubicles during the 9-5 work day. But right around noon every day the subject inevitably swings to the same subject: soup.

Okay, not soup - but lunch time. Unfortunately for us, lately lunch time = soup. Yesterday she had potato. I had chicken noodle. Last week it was split pea. and tomato. We’re both so sick of soup.

Today I branched out a bit and rummaged through the cupboard to find some Uncle Ben’s microwaveable Rice Pilaf. hmmm. Well, at least it’s not soup. it’s rice.

Soup and Rice are the foundations of my lunch time diet. Our office keeps a fridge and pantry stocked with easy lunch time necessities - but that largely comes down to soup, rice, or sandwiches. I’ve had a dislike for sandwiches every since Jr. High days - after eating sandwiches for lunch for 12-years of my life, I just can’t stomach turkey on wheat anymore. So again, that leaves me soup. and rice. soup and rice.

It starts to get old after a while, but I just can’t bring myself to bring valuable groceries from home, when there is free food sitting right in the office fridge. But I hate the food we have in the fridge. Too often the meager offerings of the company fridge send me out to get fast food. But this month The Boss has been in town - which means no lunch break for me. (But consequentially no wasteful spending on fast food. There’s an upside to everything.) So instead, I get to eat soup. and rice. soup and rice.

I’m really starting to dislike soup and rice.

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

Send the intern to the store with a list you made up. Don't include soup and rice. Just a thought.

Twixter Two said...

Ironically, I had chicken and rice soup today. (Sigh).

Post a Comment