Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Understand Your Frustration, Ma'am.

Working in Account Services (retention) makes me apologize. A lot. Now, I'm told that I'm a great communicator. In my month or so on the phones, I've never had a customer request a manager or supervisor. As my supervisor would say, "It's because I don't have any stink on my voice". I'm assuming that means attitude. I really don't have any of that. In fact, I'm told that I'm too nice.

To maintain my job without getting in trouble, I'm supposed to "save" 45% of my customers. Right now my rate is at 40%. The problem is I care too much. I feel that the customer is telling me the truth. Why would they be lying about what happened in their life? Your life is terrible. You called the right person. I'll track my manager down and get your Early Termination Fee waived.

Now that is the wrong first thought. I'm supposed to look at what I see on the computer and feel no mercy. Customers lie. Often. I was cussed out for 30 minutes by a woman yesterday who sounded like satan. As she yelled, her voice became all guttural and creepy. I did not enjoy it. All over internet service.

While I'm not keeping the most customers for my company, most of them leave with a much better taste in their mouth about this company and may come back. I could say that all day, but I'm still 5% down from acceptable, let alone 7% from getting bonuses.

So for the first time in my life, I'm learning how to be mean. It seems so backward in customer service, but I have to begin to process that I work for a business, not the customer and do what's best for the company.

This continues to solidify the fact that I need to not work in this kind of customer service. I need to be somewhere that really is about your actual experience.

A place like, oh, Disney World. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment