Thursday, April 1, 2010

April Fools!

April Fools was always a fun holiday in our house and my Dad has endured year after year of the sugar-to-salt switcher-roo in his morning coffee. Some of the pranks have been funny, others predictable, and one or two outright mean. But it being April Fool’s Day always managed to soften the blow.

Yesterday was March 31, and around 3:00p and my coworker and I were hit with the normal mid-afternoon boredom. Our minds don’t sit idle for long and we decided that it was prime time to play an April Fools day joke on The Boss.

We had already coordinated for everyone in our small office to call in sick (which the boss picked up after the first text) but then I stumbled upon this great little gem on Instructables.

My boss LIVES off of his computer and while you would think that would make him a computer-expert, I get an exasperated call into my office 4 or 5 times a day to come and fix this computer bug or to show him where the short cut is for that. Of course the perfect April Fool’s Day joke would be to help the computer along in it’s little “mix ups.” So while The Boss was away I slipped onto his computer to install “The Total Confusion Combo Pack” - sure to spark his computer into dozens of little mix ups the moment the clock struck midnight on April 1st.

My co-worker and I were barely holding our laughter when we started to hear the “HMPHs” and “HAWs” around 9 am this morning. I don’t know how I kept a straight face when he called me into his office moments later with a “Why is my firefox switching around all the letters?” and “What is this Rick Roll’d thing?” I had him opening and shutting windows, restarting and clearing his cache numerous times before we could hold it in no longer.

“How long has it been doing this?” I asked from across the wall, sitting in my office where I could hide my grin.

“Since I woke up at 3 am this morning - I’ve restarted the thing over 100 times! Could I have a virus?”

At the 6-hour mark, I don’t think the joke could have been anymore perfect.

I bargained with The Boss that if I could fix his computer he would have to take the entire company out to lunch. After he agreed it took two clicks on the tool bar and his computer was back to it’s pristine condition.

My chicken-wrap at lunch never tasted more sweet.

Did you play an April Fools Day joke today? Or maybe one was played on you? Let us know in the comments below.

Either way, I hope everyone had a good laugh this April Fools!

1 comment:

Chelsea. said...

Suddenly on April first this year, a good handful of my female friends all got pregnant. In the aftermath, I was told by lots of them I am very good at emotionally handling that situation, so I've got that going for me!

Post a Comment