Wednesday, April 7, 2010

More Blue Collar Than I Ever Thought

So I realized something yesterday.

I think I'd rather be a blue collar worker. Not necessarily the stereotypes of construction or things like that, but I really don't mind wearing a uniform.

Right now I work in an office type environment, tethered to a desk for 8 hours and it drives me crazy. Only reading blogs online can keep me occupied in my down times for so long. My limbs long for walking and standing.

It's ironic because I always saw myself as a sort of up and coming business woman wearing epic heels and pencil skirts, giving presentations and holding meetings. I walk by the meeting rooms at work now and cringe. No one looks glamorous, or like they're even enjoying a minute of their work. They all sit, staring at their laptops while watching Power Points full of graphs and data.

*Excuse me while I vomit*

Now I know that I don't just want to be a "worker" my whole life. I want to move up, get promoted, manage. Just maybe not in an white collar type office.

The more and more I think about it, the more I realize the only thing I've truly been passionate about my entire life is people. Now I do wish it was something a little more sell-able, like photography or being an expert harp player or something, but it's just not. I love people. I also love helping them by being as knowledgeable as I can be on my subject of work. Just ask Husband or Twixter Two. I know far too much random crap than any person ever should.

So yeah. Now I just have to wait 5 months to see if Disney is going to be it for me. Maybe I could handle working in an office if I love what I'm working for. Or who I'm working for.

What do you think? Are you more Blue Collar or White Collar? Or something in between like me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a nurse, so I guess that makes me blue-collar.. and I love it.. I work on pediatrics and there's nothing more rewarding than making a sick kid feel better or more comfortable. I definitely have a bit of white-collar in me too though, since I come from a family of all white-collar workers! But I broke out of the mold and followed what I wanted. I like working with people! Although I do wish I could dress for fashionably at work! haha

Post a Comment