Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Flaws of Baking, Even If It's So Damn Cute

I recently went on a blog hunt. I started with cooking blogs, then found baking blogs and seriously fell in love. My favorite one out of all of them is Bakerella.com.

It’s freaking adorable. Even the name reminds me of Cinderella and being a little girl, playing with my Easy Bake Oven. Most of the recipes include easy ingredients such as boxed cake mixes and regular candy for use. It’s awesome.

For the Valentine’s Day party at work, I attempted to make the Cake Balls that are just adorable. I wanted to make Cake Pops, but at 10:30 pm, my local grocery store just didn’t have candy sticks. Just freaking skewer sticks. Which are ugly and not helpful. But I digress.



The example is of red velvet cake with chocolate coating. I instead just used chocolate cake. With white chocolate coating. To make them, you bake a cake then let it cool. You crumble it, mix in cream cheese frosting, then roll into balls. Cool in either refrigerator for a few hours or freezer for a faster cool. Then dip in melted chocolate and let cool in fridge. Sounds simple. WRONG.
I was hoping they would turn out just like that. But of course, mine were not that cute. They weren’t even, nor did I take the time to do the designs after the fact.

Problem 1 – I didn’t wait for the cake balls to freeze before dipping them in the chocolate. So it was a hug pain in the ass to dip them in the chocolate.

Problem 2 – I didn’t buy melting candy or whatever it’s called. I bought melting chocolate. For dipping strawberries or fruit. It’s was annoying. And uncooperative with the cake.

Problem 3 – I started making them at 10 pm. I worked at 8 am and carpooled with my mom who started at 7 am. So I was in a rush. (Never a good trait for baking)

Problem 4 – I have never made these before.

Problem 5 – I ran out of white chocolate so had to try using melted white frosting. It didn't work as well. I might have microwaved it a little too long.

Problem 6 - I didn't use any sort of measure tool to make the cake balls, so they were all different sizes and shapes. Whatev.

Problem 7 – I’m a perfectionist. Major FAIL.

So needless to say, they were definitely not perfect. But they tasted freaking delish. While they didn't look pretty out the outside, they were so yummy, I had 3 before I went to bed.

I’m excited to try them again. But with strawberry cake. And white candy coat. Yum.

I’ll post pictures next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment