Monday, March 29, 2010

Of Generation HP

Recently, one of my unattainalbe life dreams actually became an attainable dream.

They announced the opening date of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park in Universal Studios Florida.

I consider myself of the Generation Harry Potter (HP). When the first HP book released, I was 11 years old, just like Harry Potter. For the books 1-3, I aged and experienced the same (general) life confusions as my fictional counterparts. And as the books spanned farther apart in release, the age and maturity of Harry Potter and friends matched mine.

I actually grew up with Harry Potter.

I felt like the world that he lived in could be my own. I could be a witch. I could study with Hermione for endless hours in the library. I could meander the ground and visit Hagrid's cabin during free periods. I also, could see myself absolutly loving Dumbledore and all his wisdom. My mother embraced the series whole heartedly, even against the fear of her children reading about wizards and witchcraft. It was the first book that Brother read on his own. He was the kid that hated reading and had attention issues. But he could sit on the floor of my room (with the only CD player upstairs) reading along with the books on tape for hours on end. It made him understand the power of reading and the world it creates.

When they started filming the movies, Harry Potter became real. The sets existed, somewhere in the world. Things I had only imagined in my mind were there, looking EXACTLY like they did in the books. I wanted to see the sets so bad. I didn't. Of course. As a young, normal person in the world, there was no way.

But now, oh now. They built the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I can actually go there. I can see the Hogwarts Express, billowing smoke ready to take new students to be sorted.

So, as nerdy as this post is, I will probably cry the first time I set foot on the park. It will be the world I dreamed about for 10 years literally alive before my eyes.

Wow. I am a nerd. But at least I'm not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment