Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Rebel

The most rebellious thing I’ve ever done is pierce my nose.

My father swore that if I were to ever A) dye my hair black and/or B) pierce my nose, that was the end of me. The phrase “Not under my roof” was uttered more than once.

Almost exactly to one month after I was no longer under his roof I made a spontaneous decision while shopping in Pasadena with a girlfriend to pierce my nose.

Of course, spontaneous is somewhat a relative term. I’ve wanted to get my nose pierced since I was a sophomore in college, and came pretty close once or twice when I lived abroad in London (but somehow the sketch of Camden market always scared me away.)

However, that day in September my girlfriend and I were supposed to be shopping for work appropriate clothes, and I walked out with a nose stud. Luckily, I work in the entertainment industry and no one gives a second glance to things like piercings and tattoos. (I actually had to point the change out to both The Boss and Mrs Boss, who thought I had gotten my hair cut instead.)

Nevertheless, my parents don’t work, live or think about the entertainment industry, and I was frightened beyond all belief of revealing the big secret to them. I was your uber suck-up good kid in High School. The most rebellious thing I did was stay at church until after 10:00 pm on a school night. (Yes, I was that kid who got grounded from church, on more than one occasion.)

I’ve never seen the point in disrespecting your parents. It made sense to me why I shouldn’t drink, do drugs or sleep around. and while my mother and I got into some pretty Olympic screaming matches in High School, it usually had to do with me wanting to grow up. (Ha - memo to High School Twixter One: DONT RUSH.)

But everyone reaches a point when they need a little rebellion in their lives. So mine was a nose piercing, which I was certain my parentals would hate. I dreaded with excitement the moment that they would finally realize my deed. Planned out how I would reveal it, and perfected my arguement of why I shouldn’t be shunned.

But when I finally made the big reveal, it was no big deal. My mom said it looked cute. My dad just rolled his eyes. Pretty anti-climactic for the most rebellious thing I’ve ever done in my life. Maybe it's time I experiment with a little black dye.

No comments:

Post a Comment