Friday, March 19, 2010

Reunited and It Feels Soo Good!

I had a scary revelation yesterday:

I am slowly inching up on the one-year anniversary of my undergraduate graduation.

That’s scary.

So often in this blog Twixter Two and I bemoan the loss of our carefree college days. While college had it’s ups and downs, there is no way to look back on it without calling it “the best years of our lives.” But we had to grow up and leave our comfy college towns, and thats when real life began.

Last weekend I had a chance to escape real life, if only just for a couple days. The Best came down for a spontaneous visit from Nor Cal and for the first time since graduation, the old crew was together again.

The weekend kicked off with grabbing pizza and beer on Friday night and everything fell comfortably into place. (and even though I hate beer, The Director as usual managed to trick me into finishing at least half a glass. - like I said, back to normal.) After a late night finished off at the boys apartment (the latest I’ve had since graduation) we spent a beautiful Saturday with wine and baguettes in the park and it couldn’t have been more perfect.

It’s weekends like these that make me miss college, and at times seriously consider returning. True, I could do without the tests, the homework and the endless all nighters. But the stress and the frustration of being a full time college student are easily looked over after graduation when you have those kind of memories to look back on.

A lot of people can survive this college to real life transition because they never leave their college town. They find an apartment driving distance from campus and still gather together for LOST marathons with the group every week.

Sadly, my friends were all too adventurous - while one or two stayed near campus, most of us scattered just far enough away to make spontaneous drop-bys impossible. I’m excited for and proud of each member of our group - everyone is going for their goals straight out of college. But it does make my nights and weekends pretty lonely. What I would do to have everyone living in the same complex again - to have someone to borrow a cup of flour from (and consequentially have a flour flight with) or to be free enough to have a spontaneous sing-along in the courtyard.

Adult life and a 40-hour work week can get pretty lonely. It’s even more lonely when you’ve moved to a new town. The free time I was so anxious for in college isn’t always worth it when there is no one close to spend that free time with. While yes, I have made new friends and have had some wonderful post-college experiences, there is nothing that can replace my college friends. They’re family.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

I have the same feeling when I think back on college. Especially because both of my brothers are now in the college life; I look at them and this "oh I remember those easy days..." Damn this being and adult crap.

http://senseofstyleiseternal.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment